[wp-hackers] time to drop tabindex.

Rich Pedley elflop at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 14 11:31:41 GMT 2008

Firstly let me direct you to a few sites:
http://blackwidows.co.uk/blog/2006/11/03/tabindex-at-your-peril/
http://www.webaim.org/techniques/keyboard/tabindex.php
http://www.access-matters.com/2006/08/27/quiz-tabindex-disorder/

and from my comment on one of those:

One thing that sticks out a mile is this "disorienting for the (screen
reader) user". Once again it has been assumed that the only people who
navigate a website via the keyboard is a screen reader user. This is
not the case, I know many people who prefer to use the keyboard, or
are in fact forced to because they are unable to use a mouse. If the
tabbing index does not follow the flow of the page then it becomes
very disorientating. You have to visually try and 'guess' where you
are.

and that was from over 2 years ago.

So my question - is it time to drop tabindex from the Wordpress core?

Rich
--
my mind is on a permanent tangent
http://cms.elfden.co.uk/