[wp-hackers] Re: Removal Of Over 200 Themes?

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Sat Dec 13 17:58:47 GMT 2008

Actually, the PHP license is not GPL compatible, it has a clause that
says that no software written in PHP can use the word 'PHP' in the name
of the software. "phpBB" violates this clause as well as phpNuke, etc.
The issue is more that PHP doesn't want to be associated with poorly
written web applications which have security flaws to be attributed to
the PHP language itself.

PHP itself is not inherited insecure, so when people assume that
something that has PHP written is associated with the PHP development
group, then it caused some confusion on whether the fault is PHP or
programmers with no education or experience creating software and with
no security in mind.

In a sense, I think it is more New BSD with the extra clause, but I've
only briefly read it and not for any extend periods of time.