[wp-hackers] Saving Posts Overwrites Post Meta Values Updated Through AJAX

Ronald Heft ron at cavemonkey50.com
Sat Dec 13 00:06:31 GMT 2008

Correct, this occurs from the edit post screen when saving posts.
That is the solution I came up with (solution #2), but there are
some drawbacks to this that make it seem more like a hack.

First off, the data I'm storing in a post meta is serialized, as most of the
data stored is created through PHP. To update the form field, the data would
have to be submitted through AJAX, processed through PHP, returned in
javascript, and updated in the field.

Second, I'm already returning data on my AJAX query, and that data is used
for displaying information to the user. To return the serialized array, I
would have to create a second AJAX query to update the form field.

Again, this idea will work, but it seems way too hacky and not
an elegant solution. I would think there should be to specify in WordPress
that this field may change through AJAX or other means before a post save.
I'm already using an underscore to hide the field from the user, the user
should not have any access to that field, and therefore there should be no
reason for WordPress to assume that is the most current version of the post
meta.

--
Ronald Heft, Jr.
Information Sciences and Technology