[wp-hackers] 'Password Protected' - bug or feature?

Rich Pedley elflop at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 9 14:06:23 GMT 2008

2008/12/9 Matt Martz <matt at sivel.net>:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Shashi <connect2shashi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think so too...
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Rich Pedley <elflop at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Just had this problem from a user. They apparently entered a space
>>> into the password field, but hadn't realised they had done so. They
>>> couldn't then figure out why their post came up as password protected.
>>>
>>> Shouldn't it be 'trimmed'  to remove spaces?
>
> I am not sure if it should.  People are starting to be trained to use
> pass phrases instead of pass words.  Pass phrases could include
> spaces, and I have indeed seen users place spaces before and after
> because they think it makes it harder to guess.  Perhaps adding a
> password length counter would be beneficial so that you could see the
> total number of characters entered.

Not so sure on that, I personally don't like leading, or trailing,
spaces in pass phrases. The counter could possibly be added by a
plugin, as could a strength meter (which may not be that useful).

But it should be fairly easy to trim and then check  the length of the
password - at least that would catch a single space entered,
presumably in error.

Rich
--
my mind is on a permanent tangent