[wp-hackers] Lock posts and multiple logins

Jeremy Clarke jer-wphackers at simianuprising.com
Wed Dec 3 18:50:12 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Dino Termini <dino at duechiacchiere.it> wrote:

> Wow that was a quick reply! Thanks dd32 :) Actually, there is a warning, but
> only if two different users try to edit the same post. This does not apply
> if the same user is connected from two different places. I know, this looks
> weird, but since we have several users, I was thinking about creating three
> or four different users with different roles, and then share them among the
> editors :-)

Dino, that sounds like a really bad idea. Have you looked into the
Role Manager plugin (
http://www.im-web-gefunden.de/wordpress-plugins/role-manager/ )? It
gives you fine tuned access to the full WP capabilities system (the
default roles are just one example of the system). It allows you to
create new roles with custom capabilities and it even lets you define
the exact capabilities of specific users on their user page.

If you can set up your site to use capabilities (might involve some
compromises with your existing idea but really, it would probably be
okay) then you will simplify a lot of things for yourself. Managing
multiple accounts is also a pain in the ass for users, and you'll end
up with unexpected results when they accidentally use the wrong
accounts. If you're using anything other than the 1 login per user
paradigm Wordpress will always treat you wrong because it treats one
user as one person.

--
Jeremy Clarke | http://simianuprising.com
Code and Design | http://globalvoicesonline.org