[wp-hackers] Why WP mantain old post slug?

Pixline › Paolo Tresso supporto at pixline.net
Tue Aug 19 11:07:04 GMT 2008

> A user asked me why even after chamging a post slufg the old one vas
> still searchable and the old url still active redirectong to new post.

It's a feature, not a bug.

This is intended for both SEO and URL canonicalization. If you have an
old post well indexed (or just linked by someone) you'll probably want
to keep it's SEO blessing even if changing its slug.

This way, if you change that slug and someone tries the old address,
you'll be redirect (with the proper HTTP header) to the new url,
without any loss or risk.

This was (is?) also useful for many WP users who couldn't afford fancy
migration, for example), this trigger lets them to change permalink
structure without losing search engine indexing, and without breaking
any external link.

As far as I know there is at least one plugin who gives an interface
to this thing, but I can't find it in my bookmarks, sorry.

Paolo/Pixline