[wp-hackers] Quiz plugin (was: Deprecated functions and files)

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Tue Aug 12 15:43:40 GMT 2008

(Coding question for y'all further down...)

On Aug 12, 2008, at 9:30 AM, Ozh wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2008, at 9:12 AM, Otto wrote:
>> Ugh. I hate those quiz things.
>>
>> I installed Donncha's Cookies For Comments recently and it's worked
>> fairly well: http://ocaoimh.ie/cookies-for-comments/
>>
>> I recommend it instead.
>
> IMO they don't have the same goal. CFC checks if you have the
> permission
> to comment, while Stephen's Spam Quiz checks if you *deserve* to
> comment.
> One is for protection against bots, the other is for protection
> against
> dummies :)

LOL

Mainly the goal is to require human thought.  Even then, some spammers
have actually turned to using live people to sit there and fill in
captchas all day.  So the goal is that you have to have actually read
the thing.  The default "2 + 2 =" question is okay, but it doesn't
cover that -- as it's independent of any post content.

> (sometimes questions are tough though)

The biggest thing about it is that it's _very_ easy to make the
questions too hard.  I'm not trying to outwit people! Things I've
learned:

1) Inserting a _______ blank goes a long way to making the question
clear
2) Stick to short, simple answers.  One word is a good length.
3) Avoid asking about niddly little details, unless it's core to the
point of the article
4) Be aware of obvious alternates
5) I'll ask just about anything related to a really short post, but
don't make readers dig through a really long one looking for some detail
6) Only ask questions that are answered within the text of the article

correct answers. :)

Oh yeah...
<http://striderweb.com/nerdaphernalia/wp-comment-quiz/>

*** Coding Question for you all: ***

I've seen a particular problem in a number of anti-spam measures,
including this one, and I was wondering if anyone knows of a fix.  You
answer the question (or captcha, or whatever), and you get it wrong.
You click the "Back" button and your comment is gone!

It seems totally random to me:  Sometimes the comment is still there,
sometimes the form is blank.  Why does this happen?  (On the Quiz
plugin it's _usually_ still there, but sometimes it's blanked....)

I've gotten in the habit of copying my comment to clipboard any time
there's a captcha, but I wish I knew how to fix this.

P.S. -- Okay... I could probably figure out a way to repeat the
comment form on the "Wrong Answer" page, but is there an easier way to
just make the Back button work?

Regards,

Stephen

--