[wp-hackers] updating widgets for multiple sidebars

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Aug 8 14:19:46 GMT 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 12:21 AM, DD32 <wordpress at dd32.id.au> wrote:
> My main blog needs to have the single widgets on multiple sidebars, As i
> havef a different sidebar depending if you're viewing the Blog or a Page, I
> use WP as more of a CMS with a Blog subsection in that way. I also have
> another few projects which uses sidebars completely differently & as such
> needs widgets on multiple sidebars.
> eg: http://dd32.id.au/ compared to http://dd32.id.au/blog/

Okay, I see the idea here, but if this is implemented correctly, it
requires no changes to the widgets at all. In other words, you don't
want multiple widgets, you want multiple sidebars able to hold the
same copies of single widgets.

Let's define some terms, so we don't get all confused.
A "multi-widget" is one where you can have multiple copies of the
widget, each with different settings.
A "single-widget" is one where you can have one copy of the widget,
with one set of settings.

Nothing really prevents you from showing that single widgets in
multiple places though. It's only the interface that doesn't really
allow for it. In theory, I see no reason that you could not have the
same id in different parts of the sidebars_widgets array and thus call
it multiple times.