[wp-hackers] Multi-language support feature

Tom Belmans tom at motionmill.com
Wed Aug 6 15:11:03 GMT 2008

We are currently refactoring the Gengo plugin since it is too
complicated and does not work out of the box in Wordpress 2.6.
Currently we are in a phase that we can test some functionality in
combination with other plugins and I must admit the tests are going
well.

We can translate pages, posts, permalinks and stuff very easy, and
have an language switcher widget that works.

Paolo,

We have been mailing with the Gengo developer to ask him to
participate in his project but he was not very willing.  So we decided
to make a fork of his project and clean up things and stuff.  I'll
keep the list informed when we have something that can be tested in
beta.

tom

On 06 Aug 2008, at 15:19, grisu46 wrote:

> Pixline › Paolo Tresso ha scritto:
>> Multilanguage wil (probably) never be part of WordPress core, the
>> devs
>> said many times, because "it can be done with plugins".
>>
>> I'm actually trying to bring on a noteworthy multilanguage plugin
>> called
>> Gengo, with the community we already made it working with WordPress
>> 2.5+, and we're in the middle of the transition to a full
>> community-driven project. I've somewhat fixed it for 2.5, and it
>> works
>> in 2.6. We're trying to make it WPMU compatibile, also.
>>
>> You can download it from http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gengo/
>>
>> Also I would like to invite devs and hackers to join our effort and
>> help
>> us make this plugin a real community project. I started to fix it,
>> but I
>> did not supposed to be the only coder/mantainer for it, and now I'm
>> too
>> running out of time. I'm also going to open a mailing list soon and
>> revamp the website, just waiting for some free hours to do so..
>>
>> I feel it a great plugin, and I use it proudly in my work projects,
>> but
>> the plugin needs more community feedback, more debug, even patches
>> and
>> codes if you can :-)
>>
>> Paolo/Pixline
>>

>> Il giorno 05/ago/08, alle ore 11:31, grisu46 ha scritto:
>>
>>> Is it possible a new feature in Wordpress for multi language blog?
>>

> Thank you all for your fantastic job.
> I tried gengo and its not easy to manage. This plug-in has problem
> with
> search function and some others (see
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/191811 )
> So I'm using Qtranslate but does not translate permalink. :(
> Someone had fixed this problem of Qtranslate?
>
> Thanks
> Chiacchiera con i tuoi amici in tempo reale!
> http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/*http://it.messenger.yahoo.com

Tom Belmans
Developer

tel: +32 |03| 286.80.47