[wp-hackers] GPL/WP-compatible icon sets?

Alexander Beutl xel at netgra.de
Tue Apr 15 16:26:35 GMT 2008

Just want to clarify:
I do not see any problems from CC's side

> [...] this does not require the Collective Work apart from the Work itself
> to be made subject to the terms of this License.

And the theme would be something like a Collective Work I think, which is
definded as following:

*"Collective Work"* means a work, such as a periodical issue, anthology or
> encyclopedia, in which the Work in its entirety in unmodified form, along
> with a number of other contributions, constituting separate and independent
> works in themselves, are assembled into a collective whole. A work that
> constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work (as
> defined below) for the purposes of this License.

The only troubles I see are that GPL doesn't allow some stuff. Especially
the following (taken from CC-BY-SA full juristical version) doesn't fit into
GPL (but there will be more examples if one dives deep enogh into the
issue):

If You create a Collective Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to
> the extent practicable, remove from the Collective Work any reference to
> such Licensor or the Original Author, as requested.

Anyway: You'll have a chance of about 99% that the author of the icons has
no problem with his work being included and will give you the permissions to
do so. I think this is more of a theoretical approach then of a real issue -
especially because this icons are not designed to be printed or presented
but used in (free)(web)applications which is exactly what you want to do.

Alex