[wp-hackers] Re: Plugin update notifications

Mahmoud H. Al-Qudsi computerguru at neosmart.net
Sun Apr 13 05:36:01 GMT 2008

> I've summarized my tests & conclusions on this subject in 4 points:
> 1) SVN directory name,
> 2) plugin installation direction,
> 3) plugin name in readme.txt, and
> 4) plugin name in PHP file
> must all be "consistent" if not equal. Longer story :
> <http://planetozh.com/blog/2008/04/4-checkpoints-to-make-sure-plugin-
> update-notices-in-wordpress-will-work/>
>
> Would love some head honcho or core coder to review this, though, just
> to be sure if I'm not publicly making a fool of myself :)

I don't think that's the case - I WISH it were.

I have a hand-hacked version of the recent-posts widget, modified to take
advantage of the caching system I'm using. I renamed it, removed the author
URI, and did a million different things, yet WP 2.5 keeps on asking me to
upgrade to the "new" version...

For clarification:
File: wp-content/plugins/widgets/nst_recent.php
Name: "NST Recent Posts Widget"

But I am STILL asked to "Download version 1.2.1.20070210b here" (linking to
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/widgets/)

It's ONLY looking at the directory name ("widgets") and not at anything
else, and that's driving me crazy. It thinks that because there's a plugin
in a folder called "widgets" that means it's the same "widgets" plugin on
wordpress.org, and it wants to upgrade.

-MQ