[wp-hackers] New Feature: insert header & footer snippets

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Sat Apr 12 22:09:34 GMT 2008

On Apr 12, 2008, at 3:33 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:
> I go back to Mark's point on the ticket -- why not alter Kubrick to
> include widget bars for header and footer and add a couple new widget
> types...

Because, as the trac ticket says:

"The great thing about it, is that the snippets are going to be
inserted no matter which theme you are using."

On Apr 12, 2008, at 4:00 PM, Alexander Beutl wrote:
> This is not something themes sould offer.
> There are thousands of themes everywhere - when they are not updated
> include this (but do *work* anyway) this special added code will be
> gone.

Alexander, I think you are misunderstanding the proposal.  (Heh... or
_I_ am....)

The theme doesn't have to "offer" anything other than the standard
wp_head() that allows _any_ plugin to add _any_ code.  Frankly, any
theme that lacks wp_head() is, in my opinion, a broken theme.  At
best, it is a significantly nonstandard theme....

This idea is very similar to widgets.  You could just as well argue
that we shouldn't have sidebar widgets because we can just wait for
theme authors to put the things we want into their themes.  (And
anyway, it's not so hard to change the code, right?)

There is a distinct advantage to this idea, and NO drawback that I can
see.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider