[wp-hackers] Plugins -- new header fields: max-compatible and min-compatible

Xel xel at netgra.de
Thu Apr 3 07:45:14 GMT 2008

A hardlimit to top isn't really a good idea I think.

First - als DD32 mentioned - you are able to upgrade wordpress without
deactivating plugins (isn't recommended but *is* possible however)

Second:
If I write a plugin today it will - of course - support 2.5. It would not be
too smart to write a plugin only for outdated versions.
It may or may not support 2.6 - how should I know when I release this
version of the plugin, which upcomming versions of wordpress will be
supported? This values are not subject to change after the files are
downloaded by the user. Before downloading the user should read what is
written on that download page and there should be written that it doesn't
support WP Version XY if the Plugin Author knows.

You know: If a user is told that plugins will not work with his version of
WP this is a good thing - if he belives Plugins will work until he gets this
message telling him it won't this is bad. Bad because no one can predict
until which version his plugin will work and so they will not fill this
value or will fill it with a value which doesn't make any sense. The "Tested
up to" - soft limit would be gread to show up in the backend however. Same
with the hardlimit "requires Version XY or higher".

Alex