[wp-hackers] new botnet/comment spam thingy?

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Thu Apr 3 04:16:46 GMT 2008

On Apr 2, 2008, at 5:42 PM, Sabin Iacob wrote:
> Nothing got past Akismet, which is really cool, but it does make me
> wonder: is this an attempt to swamp the Akismet servers? Have those
> of you that have many thousands/tens of thousands of real visitors
> per day seen such an increase, or it only applies to low traffic
> sites like mine?

I was getting so much Trackback spam today that it DOS'd my server.
Even putting a "die()" in the top of wp-trackback.php didn't bring the
load down.  But hey, as they say, don't get mad, get even!

RewriteRule ^(.*?)/trackback/?$ http://127.0.0.1/ [L,R=302] //
translation: go #$%& yourself

Ha!  And almost immediately load went down from 60 to 0.5  Gotta love
trackback bots that'll follow a redirect back in their face.

--
Mark Jaquith • http://markjaquith.com/