[wp-hackers] Plugins -- new header fields: max-compatible and min-compatible

Christian Holtje docwhat at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 20:16:05 GMT 2008

On Apr 2, 2008, at 4:03 PM, Peter Westwood wrote:
> Christian Holtje wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 31, 2008, at 8:39 PM, Stephen Rider wrote:
>>> Here's a thought.  It might be useful to allow for new plugin
>>> header fields: "max-compatible" and "min-compatible".  It would
>>> allow plugin developers to specify WP versions that the plugin is
>>> known to work with.
>>
>> I like it.  Firefox has a similar concept for it's extensions.  I
>> think it should be a soft limit but should be very visual so that
>> people know what's going on.  However it shouldn't be so bad that
>> someone will have a heart attack if they upgrade Wordpress.
>>
> What significant benefit do these have over the existing fields in
> the readme.txt standard.
>
> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/readme.txt
> Requires at least: 2.0.2
> Tested up to: 2.1

Great! I didn't know about those in the readme.txt standard!

What we're asking for is notification in admin interface, so that the
user knows.  In fact, I like Requires at least and Tested up to.
Better names than min and max.

"Requires at least" should be a hard-coded limit.  It just won't
activate if WP is less than that version.
"Tested up to" should indicate it's untested visually somehow yet
still run.

Ciao!