[wp-hackers] PostgreSQL port status?

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Fri Sep 28 14:37:21 GMT 2007

I'm not SURE, but I think one of the guys that work on MySQL told me that using tinyint isn't any different space and performance wise than a int - it's only there as a usage constraint but it takes up the same amount of space on disk....

More importantly, there is no difference between int(x) and int(y) since that only affects how things are *displayed* rather than the actual length that is *stored* (verses string/text fields) and same goes for bigint(x) and bigint(y)...

Here's the manual for the latter statement: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/numeric-types.html

Now as for bigint.....
The biggest number you can store in a bigint is 9223372036854775807 and unsigned is 18446744073709551615

Why would you EVER need such a big number? int()'s biggest is 4294967295 or 4.2 billion..... The biggest auto-increment I can think of is comment indexes, but still, that's HUGE......

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/