[wp-hackers] 2.3 Response

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Sep 27 14:46:24 GMT 2007

Meh. It's just as accurate as counting number of file downloads would
be. After all, you could download the file once and then use it to
update 15 different sites...

What with the update checker code there, you could get really accurate
counts now by simply counting the number of requests being made on
api.wordpress.org.