[wp-hackers] Proposal: Add a Privacy Option: Anonymise Updates

Austin Matzko if.website at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 03:58:52 GMT 2007

On 9/26/07, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> I'd support a plugin that replaces the URL with some known format
> because I think that would be a useful metric to track as well. We could
> use the popularity of that format to decide whether it warrants a core
> option.

I've written such a plugin, which I'm calling my Tinfoil-hat
plugin.[1] (Travis Snoozy, I know you just said you were thinking of
that name, but I had chosen it long before you said anything. Sorry.)

The plugin hashes the URL and does some other tinfoil-hat-ish things,
which I mention on the plugin's page.

Also:
- It uses Snoopy if fsockopen isn't available.
- It allows you to tell the plugin-update notification not to remind
you again for a week.

Obviously I haven't had much time to test it, so I'd appreciate all
feedback anyone wants to provide.

[1] http://www.ilfilosofo.com/blog/tinfoil-hat/