[wp-hackers] Future of wp-hackers

Ozh ozh at planetozh.com
Wed Sep 26 14:34:39 GMT 2007

On 9/26/07, Callum Macdonald <lists.automattic.com at callum-macdonald.com> wrote:
> With 940 people on the list, noise is guaranteed.
>
> I support separation of the list into various topics. For example:
> * wp-discussion: Anything WP related
> * wp-plugins: Plugin developer chat
> * wp-core: Specifically discussing the direction of core
>
> Currently, there's no formal documentation of decisions made on the
> list. It would be a major step forward to formalise decisions and the
> decision making process.
>
> C.

I wouldn't like it. When something plugin is cool enough to be core,
when something discussed is cool enough to become a plugin or to
become core, or when something core is not cool enough so a plugin
polishing the feature is needed (example: tags as of now) it would
become over tedious branching and following the discussion onto
another mailing list.

I almost feel wp-hackers and wp-testers is an unneeded fork.

Personally when I'm fed up with a topic ("drop PHP4", "stop spying on
my public URL" etc) I just don't read the messages anymore, except
when from someone I find sensitive.

I do support however the decision documentation stuff, as Photomatt
started it a few weeks ago with what I believe was a project for a
developper FAQ.

My 2 centimes d'euros.

Ozh