[wp-hackers] Future of wp-hackers

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 11:07:01 GMT 2007

On 9/26/07, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> > And a few weeks ago, I learned from
> > an aside somewhere on trac that Happy Cog is redesigning the admin.
>
> This was also mentioned in at least two presentations at WordCamp,
> including the keynote, and I posted screenshots from one of their
> markups in June, which got a single response:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/wp-hackers/browse_thread/thread/53441d7fbdb2809c/b2adecb658c3a0f5?lnk=gst

Bad example.  Those screenshots were in no way, shape or form, either
by you or the other contributors to the thread, labeled as part of a
back-end redesign.  I recall the thread; I also recall the screenshots
not existing at the time I went to view them and there being very
little follow-through on the thread, thus it didn't rise to the level
of "hey, something here is going into WP core!"

> Perhaps the misunderstanding is that you can contribute to WordPress
> development by posting to wp-hackers but not following the WP codebase
> (wp-svn), bugs and enhancements (trac), or any of the major news around
> the project (planet, WordCamp). It may be possible for one-offs, but not
> core functionality.

Matt:
I think you end up with a bit of a jaundiced view on this whole Open
Source thing if you start thinking along those lines.

Look at the reaction the phone-home feature got on Slashdot yesterday
as an example.  It was blown out of proportion because not enough
people were cognizant on the issues at hand or the thinking behind the
development.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to play in the bazaar and
not the cathedral, you need to be open to the hoi polloi every once in
a blue moon.

--
-Doug

http://literalbarrage.org/blog/