[wp-hackers] Plugin update & security / privacy

Jared Bangs jared at pacific22.com
Tue Sep 25 19:21:56 GMT 2007

I think a large part of the objection to changing it at this point may not
necessarily be the nature of the issue itself (or lack of clarity /
understanding) but rather the timeliness of the complaint.

Regarding the transmission of the URL, it's certainly up for debate whether
the PR value of not sending it outweighs the potential future benefits of
including it.

It probably does (IMHO) even assuming, as I think most of us do, that it
would never be used for "evil" purposes. :)

However, this particular thread was just too late in the game to consider
for this release. 2.3 had been in bug-fix-only mode for quite a while.
There's already a trac ticket (#5066) for this, so hopefully we can just
discuss that in a calm and rational manner (for a future release) going
forward.

Hey, the good thing is that we have an update mechanism in place to change
it quickly later on if that's deemed appropriate. :)

- Jared