[wp-hackers] Plugin update & security / privacy

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 24 21:42:37 GMT 2007

Very simple patch attached:

http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5066#comment:4

Rundown:

If option check_updates is not set then no checks will be done. The nag screen asks the user (with manage_options permission) to select if they would like this feature enabled or not. It links to the privacy options page (where I put the option). Selecting yes or no will make the nag go away. I didn't separate options for core and plugins. That can easily be 2.3.1 or 2.4, but this quick and simple patch should be easy to get into 2.3 and help curve any problems.

I also included a little paragraph under the option saying what will be sent to the server to insure full transparency.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net