[wp-hackers] Categories (or Widget) Resizing

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Sun Sep 23 05:30:43 GMT 2007

On Sep 23, 2007, at 1:00 AM, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> I was wondering... one wonderful thing about WordPress is the ability
> to adjust the size of the editing box in the "Write" page (via
> ordinary settings). One thing that seems to be missing (short of
> hacking at code level) is an option that facilitates change to the
> size of various bits such as the Categories widget. When scrolling
> through 100+ items to tick about 10, where only about 10 fit the
> widget's boundaries at any one time, flexibility is lacking and
> productivity is low.

The prevalence of 100+ category installs should drop once tags are
bundled.  Very few people actually have a well-maintained 100+
category hierarchy.  People with that many categories have been use
categories as a tagging system.

> I am aware of Matt's resistance to making too many knobs available for
> tweaking (let alone hidden configs, as Alex King proposed 2 years
> ago), but can any such changes be considered for the trunk?

The size of that is set in CSS ... would be a one-line plugin to
change it.

<?php
/*
Plugin Name: Category Box Extender
posting screen
Version: 1.0
Author: Mark Jaquith
Author URI: http://markjaquith.com/
*/

add_action('admin_head', create_function('', 'echo "<style type=
\"text/css\">#categorychecklist{height:400px}</style>";'));

?>

--
Mark Jaquith
http://markjaquith.com/