[wp-hackers] Clarification on Tagging Plugins

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Sat Sep 22 09:54:26 GMT 2007

Back when I was still using UTW and trunk broke it, I was able to continue
using it for a bit by renaming the functions (thank you sed!) and nothing
else.. I don't think anything has changed that would require anything more
than that ATM, UTW could theoretically go on using the old taxonomy tables
and let things be.

But do you *want* to do that? Basically, you're telling people "you don't
need to use the WP taxonomy tables, use this special veriosn of UTW instead"
but then what happens when they want some functionality or the other that
requires compatibility with the wp default taxanomy layout? Wasn't part of
the whole reason of bringing tagging to the core so that we could
standardize it somewhat?

-CG

On 9/21/07, Mark Jaquith <mark.wordpress at txfx.net> wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2007, at 4:47 PM, Christine Davis wrote:
>
> > UTW as-is, is being disbanded in wordpress 2.3;  but its interesting
> > functionality* is being split off into smaller, more managable
> > plugins.
>
> Will you be doing a final 2.3-compatible release before disbanding?
> ComputerGuru mentions function collisions, which will make it hard
> for people to do tag upgrades unless they disable the plugin first.
> And some people may not want to immediately upgrade to using WP tags,
> but wait until some of the UTW functionality has been implemented for
> WP tags.
>
> --
> Mark Jaquith
> http://markjaquith.com/