[wp-hackers] languages folder improvement -- no coding needed!

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Mon Sep 17 17:40:21 GMT 2007

Hi --

I notice that the documentation for WordPress throughout says to put
language files in wp-includes/language/  This has always irked me,
because it's one more thing to remember when upgrading WordPress.  I
LOVE the idea that you toss everything but wp-content and wp-
config.php -- there's no messing around with what's in what folder,
etc.  This is by design, yes?

While looking through the code, I discovered that you can also put
the languages folder in wp-content/language.  So... why aren't we
just telling people to put language files in wp-content/language by
default?  It makes for easier updating and is more consistent with
the idea that that's the only folder you ever going to make changes to.

This is purely a documentation issue.  Am I missing some reason why
this is done the way it is?

Stephen