[wp-hackers] XCache Variable Storage vs. WP Object Cache

Tom Barta tbarta at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 07:32:24 GMT 2007

> But it is almost always going to be faster to use a memory-based
> object storage engine than the built-in file-based method, as
> retrieving data from memory is orders of magnitude faster than
> retrieving data from a hard disk.

I don't have any hard numbers at the moment, but I was playing with
memcache at one point and discovered something surprising (and
disheartening about PHP);  Caching arbitrary objects with memcache
(within a single request) was faster than using a PHP associative
array as a cache!  Memcache is wicked fast.

--
Tom