[wp-hackers] debugging with print_r

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Sun Sep 16 07:30:44 GMT 2007

Heh, I spotted this function in WP the other day:
wp-includes/compat.php:

function printr($var, $do_not_echo = false) {
	// from php.net/print_r user contributed notes
	ob_start();
	print_r($var);
	$code =  htmlentities(ob_get_contents());
	ob_clean();
	if (!$do_not_echo) {
		echo "<pre>$code</pre>";
	}
	ob_end_clean();
	return $code;
}

:)

IMHO though, If you develop locally then you *really* should install xDebug, I have its profiler running whenever i'm developing a new application, and its great to locate what statement is taking up those precious seconds in a long loop.
But its greatst function is the var_dump override:
http://xdebug.org/docs/display (See "The Results", That output there is directly from var_dump with xdebug, or any of those examples on that page)
The other nice functionality is the stacktrace on errors:
http://xdebug.org/docs/stack_trace
(Infact, I didnt know you could set it to show the passed parametres either, Thats something i'm going to enable now, it'll be much easier to debug why a function fatally dies sometimes)

theres a PHP xdebug module available for windows pre-compiled, Pecl has it for linux i think..

A PHP alternative some people like is dBug:
http://www.corephp.co.uk/archives/28-dBug-var_dump-with-style!.html