[wp-hackers] XCache Variable Storage vs. WP Object Cache

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Sat Sep 15 18:31:33 GMT 2007

OK, I'm no expert on PHP opcode caching and stuff, but I've recently
switched from eAccelerator to XCache (part of the Lighttpd project,
but for other servers like Apache and IIS) (much better performance
results so far, and MUCH better code/reliability for IIS).

Since switching I've installed a plugin for vBulletin that also takes
advantage of an extra feature that XCache has called "variable cache"
which saves me a couple of queries per page request since it's been
enabled. In vBulletin I did that by switching the "datastore" from
vBulletin's default disk datastore to a custom XCache class made for
vBulletin which hooks into my XCache installation and caches it in the
memory there.

Does anyone know if vBulletin's "data store" is the same concept as
WP's in-built "object cache"? Would there be any benefit in using
XCache's variable cache instead of the inbuilt WP object cache?

Links:
XCache: http://xcache.lighttpd.net/
vBulletin XCache Plugin: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1196156

The vBulletin XCache plugin was created by an XCache developer.

--
Computer Guru
Director,