[wp-hackers] WordPress + Squid?

Viper007Bond viper at viper007bond.com
Wed Sep 12 00:05:13 GMT 2007

My web admin buddy who helps me run the server all my WordPress sites are
has set up Squid due to the traffic one of my sites gets (no, not my
personal blog sadly). I already run WP-Cache on it, but during peak times,
the server bogs down and becomes a tad slow.

However, he says WordPress (well, more likely WP-Cache) isn't sending a 304
header when the page hasn't been modified. Is all I need to do to fix this
is send a 304 via header() right before this line in wp-cache-phase-1.php ?

if ($meta->dynamic) {

i.e. this:

header( 'HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified' );
if ($meta->dynamic) {

Anyone knowledgeable care to weigh in?

I'm running WP 2.2.3 on this particular install.

--
Viper007Bond | http://www.viper007bond.com/