[wp-hackers] Do I have to suggest a new hook (or just write better documentation)?

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Sun Sep 9 20:36:28 GMT 2007

Pixline wrote:
> I wrote a plugin [1] that needs a little template modification in order
> to work. But I have seen in the last two months that quite 9/10 of
> potential users have troubles in doing this little modification [2].
> As long as I know, there's no hook available to make what this plugin is
> supposed to do (replace 'archive for category x' h2 with a page content,
> like a longer introduction to your category archives).
> My questions:
> 1) Am I missing some hooks, and there's a better way to do what I'm
> trying to do?

Your not missing any hooks.  You have done the correct thing in creating
a new template tag.

> 2) If not, this is worth a new hook proposal, and do you think this hook
> would be acceptable?

We can't add hooks everywhere in the templates as it is very hard to
ensure that they will be there (most templates are custom after all)
therefore you create template tags.

- From a quick read of the two links I think what your missing is good
documentation.  This is always the hardest thing to write!

It seems that a common misunderstanding is that people think your plugin
provides a way to designate a page as a category archive.

So I think you may need to improve that info.

What I have found works well [1] is to structure the documentation in a
question and answer form e.g. Answer the following questions:

1. What it does.
2. How it works.
3. How to use it.
4. What it requires.
5. How to install it.

Sometimes the info provide is still not enough - I need to update this
description [2] to include some sample code to make it clear how to use
the plugin.

I hope this helps.

[1] http://blog.ftwr.co.uk/wordpress/mime-config/
[2] http://blog.ftwr.co.uk/wordpress/query-child-of-page/