[wp-hackers] WPMU mu-plugins dir (was Setting default options for plugin)

Jeremy Visser jeremy.visser at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 10:08:52 GMT 2007

Knut-Olav Hoven wrote:
> I think it would be better to just use the regular plugins folder and set
> per-plugin permissions/capabilities to whom might edit what plugins.

Agreed. I think that _all_ plugins for WordPress MU need to be stored in
wp-content/plugins, and they are whitelisted for users to enable using a
similar interface to the current one for themes.

Currently, all WordPress MU themes are stored in wp-content/themes, and
for them to be enabled publicly, the site admin goes to the theme admin
page, and ticks 'Yes' to whitelist the theme for public usage.

The plugins should work the same way. You can whitelist them for being
able to be activated by users. Also, they should be able to be set as a
forced-on invisible plugin (exactly the way mu-plugins are), and when
_these_ types of plugins are enabled or disabled, the
activation/deactivation hooks should be called for each blog in the
system via WP-Cron. Also, whenever someone signs up for a new blog, the
activation hooks should be run.