[wp-hackers] WPMU mu-plugins dir (was Setting default options for plugin)

Omry Yadan omry at yadan.net
Tue Sep 4 09:18:26 GMT 2007

Knut-Olav Hoven wrote:

> I think it would be better to just use the regular plugins folder and set
> per-plugin permissions/capabilities to whom might edit what plugins.
>
> Why? Because two folders with plugins will give you problems such as two
> plugins can have the same name (folder name), which plugins are installed
> where and such...
>

> All plugins could per default only be editable by the "site admin" user. Then
> the siteadmin can grant access to a subset of the plugins to regular blog
> admins.

This is a pretty good suggestion that will also achieve the same effect
of making mu-plugins first class citizens.
I understand the need for some simple auto-activation folder, but full
fledged plugins achieve the same effect and are more powerful and
flexible, so maybe it's best if mu-plugins went byebye.