[wp-hackers] WPMU mu-plugins dir (was Setting default options for plugin)

Knut-Olav Hoven hovenko at linpro.no
Tue Sep 4 09:09:04 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 04 September 2007 10:14:23 Omry Yadan wrote:
> Jeremy Visser wrote:
> > WordPress MU needs something similar. 'mu-plugins' never get their
> > activation/deactivation hooks called, because there is no concept of
> > activating or deactivating mu-plugins (you just add/delete the .php
> > files from the mu-plugins directory). All it does is run include() on
> > wp-content/mu-plugins/*.php.
> >
> > Some plugins (particularly those that add DB tables) break with the lack
> > of these hooks, and I would like to see WordPress MU work differently in
> > that area.
>
> I agree.
> mu-plugins seems like nothing more than an auto-include directory. if
> it's really a plugins directory it should follow the same conventions
> (and should use the same code WP uses to activate them).
>
> I noticed missing from current mu-plugins functionality:
> 1. plugins in directories are ignored.
> 2. no activation/deactivation functionality, which means plugins that
> need to have some first time setup can't easily be fit there.
>
> the common wisdom is that mu-plugins is for plugins that users may not
> deactivate. this is fine, and a good functioanlity for wpmu - but not at
> the cost of incompatibility with existing plugins:
> the mare fact that a plugin may not be deactivated by a user does not
> imply in any way that it may not be deactivated by the admin, or that it
> must not rely on a one time activation sequence.
> I think wpmu should have a "System plugins" page, with the same
> functionality as the plugins page (activate/deactivate), that will only
> be accessible to the site admin.
>

> I understand that this probably means some work on the core wordpres
> files, to allow the code that handle the plugins initialization to work
> for mu-plugins as well, but I think it's worth it.

I think it would be better to just use the regular plugins folder and set
per-plugin permissions/capabilities to whom might edit what plugins.

Why? Because two folders with plugins will give you problems such as two
plugins can have the same name (folder name), which plugins are installed
where and such...

All plugins could per default only be editable by the "site admin" user. Then
the siteadmin can grant access to a subset of the plugins to regular blog
admins.

>     Omry.

Knut-Olav Hoven
Systemutvikler               mob: +47 986 71 700
Linpro AS                    http://www.linpro.no/