[wp-hackers] Setting default options for plugin

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Mon Sep 3 16:01:32 GMT 2007

On Sep 1, 2007, at 3:10 AM, Peter Westwood wrote:

> On 1 Sep 2007, at 07:35, Stephen Rider wrote:
>
>> On Aug 31, 2007, at 5:38 PM, John Blackbourn wrote:
>>
>>> You should use the register_activation_hook function instead of
>>> calling the activate_xxx action directly. Unfortunately this isn't a
>>> well documented function.
>>
>> LOL --  I'll say!  It's not even documented on the page you send
>> me to.  (That page links to a broken link....)
>>
>> I think I'll figure it out.... ;-)
>
> What is wrong with the following documentation that means it
> doesn't explain how register_activation_hook works?

No offense intended.  I tend to make a distinction between "do this"
documentation and "here's what this does" documentation, and that
page is the former.  What I was remarking on was that the page that
one links to (presumably with more info) is down.  It just struck me
as funny that the page was down in the wake of a statement that it
wasn't well documented.

It's a pretty straightforward function though -- I looked at the
source (something I've been doing a LOT of lately ;)  ) and got what
I wanted from that.

I was glad for that page's suggestion to pass __FILE__ to the
function though -- I wouldn't have thought of that....

Stephen