[wp-hackers] Planet generator

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Wed Oct 31 20:22:49 GMT 2007

 Just my two cents, but what's the benefit of using WP as a Planet?

The way I see it, if you're using it as a Planet it can't be used as
anything else. If a piece of highly-specialized code that does just one
thing (Planet) and does it right and light does the job, what would the
benefit be of using something not built for that purpose (WP and its "bloat"
that comes from all the features you won't be using in a Planet) instead?

(apologies if this message already came through, the list mailer crapped out
on me)

On 10/31/07, Callum Macdonald <lists.automattic.com at callum-macdonald.com>
wrote:

> PHP Planet is more than just a front page, there's over 8'300 articles
> on there[1]. There's no "Single" view though, you only see a list of
> posts.
>
> I reckon you could turn WP into a planet quite easily.
>
> 1) Insert posts automatically from feeds (either FeedWordPress[2] or
> WP-AutoBlog[3] seem to do the trick pretty nicely)
>
> 2) Add a simple plugin to filter the_permalink and replace it with the
> original post's url. This plugin could also disable pings and comments
> just to be sure.
>
> 3) Possibly, for the paranoid, add a filter to automatically 301
> redirect to the original post if the single post is requested.
>
> As a bonus to all of this stuff, you could use the Pages functionality
> to display a bit of background info on the planet. Also, FeedWordPress
> grabs it's feed URLs from the Links database, so you could easily
> display a list of sources on the site.
>
> I think I'll  knock this into a single plugin over the next week or so.
> I'll post back once I've got something working.
>
> Cheers - Callum.
>
> [1] http://www.planet-php.net/?start=8300
> [2] http://projects.radgeek.com/feedwordpress/basic-concepts/
> [3] http://wpmudev.org/project/wp-autoblog
>
> Ozh wrote:
> > I think WP + Whatever would be totally different: a front page of
> > posts going into an archive of post, hence a huge source of duplicated
> > content (original posts + the planet).
> > The planet as of now is just a front page. Basically, it's just a feed.
> >
> > On 10/31/07, Callum Macdonald <lists.automattic.com at callum-macdonald.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Planet PHP runs on a couple of PHP apps banged together. I'll get round
> >> to implementing it at some point, but I haven't done so yet.
> >> http://www.planet-php.net/
> >>
> >> They make the code available here:
> >> http://svn.bitflux.ch/repos/public/planet-php/trunk/
> >>
> >> Would a combination of WP & FeedWordPress do the same job? Any issues
> >> with it?
> >>
> >> As far as I know, planets don't allow comments or send pings, so I'm
> >> guessing those aspects of WP would have to be turned off. But the
> >> themes, searching, tagging, categories, etc would be quite nice. If the
> >> blogroll was generated automatically that would also be a nice feature.
> >>
> >> Anyone interested in exploring this?
> >>
> >> Cheers - Callum.

Computer Guru
Director,