[wp-hackers] Single sign-on with Wordpress & Mediawiki

Sneaks 0vcqn5q02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Oct 30 22:08:45 GMT 2007

Pardon my ignorance, but given the possible permissions/roles/groups and
UI management in each package, how well would a local OpenID server
handle these issues and pass authentication to each application?

I know the OpenID concept is ideally nice, but I'm more interested in
getting a traditional, seamless integration out of these disparate
packages. My main concern is the end-user's experience. Security issues
aside (not to minimize them), WP seems to make most of the management
and authentication process pretty painless.

Callum Macdonald lists.automattic.com-at-callum-macdonald.com
|wordpress| wrote:
> I agree, it sounds very much like OpenID.
>
> Rather than re-invent the wheel I'd suggest using OpenID as a basis.
> There are OpenID plugins for an awful lot of OSS apps out there already,
> including WordPress, MediaWiki, etc.
>
> I'm not sure WordPress makes the best base to store the user tables.
> 1) Passwords are stored insecurely (the hashes should be salted)
> 2) The login cookies are ridiculously easy to fake (simply md5 what's in
> the db)
>
> Something which stores passwords salted, and keeps a separate key for
> login would be much more secure. If you suspect your database might have
> been stolen, simply update all the login tokens. Every user has to log
> in again, no major inconvenience .With WordPress, you'd have to send
> everyone new passwords, major pain in the ass.
>
> That's my tuppence worth!
>
> Cheers - Callum.
>
> DD32 wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:18:28 +1100, Sneaks <0vcqn5q02 at sneakemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> how about an open-source, WP-suite of auth sharing plugins for commonly
>>> bundled software?
>>>
>>> 1. mediawiki
>>> 2. bbPress