[wp-hackers] Single sign-on with Wordpress & Mediawiki

Jacob wordpress at santosj.name
Sun Oct 28 23:13:18 GMT 2007

So you are saying that interoperability between projects that don't mean
shit to each other have a better chance of doing so than some
abstraction layer between the projects and users. phpBB offers such an
authentication and if you request that they change it, they will link
you to the documentation that tells you how to link with their system.

OpenID isn't that difficult to implement with two libraries with PHP4
support. The only thing keeping it back is this mentality that users
won't use it and they won't without mainstream support in web
applications. Unless the mainstream you are referring to are web
application developers and not users. If you are unaware, Microsoft,
Google, AOL, WordPress.com and others are already backing OpenID. I
doubt you are smarter than they are, but don't take that personally, I'm
sure they are smarter than I am too.

Comparing these two scenarios which do you think Users would prefer?

First Solution:
1. Go to site, need to do something.
2. Register, Fill out username.
3. Username is already taken. Fill out another username.
4. Repeat #3 until some obscure username is found to be unique.
5. Keep #4 username in memory for use later.

Some distance time in the future:

6. Hmm, what username did I have before. Go to "Forget Username" and
fill out form and get username/password from email.

Second Solution:
1. Go to site, need to do something.
2. Fill in URL address to profile from AOL, blogspot, OpenID web site,
or personal web site in Username field.
3. Register and create password
4. Do whatever
5. Either does not need to store web site in some distance future use
because can use OpenID.

You must be joking, based on your lack of facts and head up your ass
attitude. Try again and this time use sources. If you are going to
blatantly advocate FUD, then I will reserve my right to call you out on it.

Jacob Santos