[wp-hackers] Single sign-on with Wordpress & Mediawiki

spencerp spencerp1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 00:08:55 GMT 2007

Matt wrote:
> Wouldn't the easiest way to do it would be to create your own register,
> login and logout? Then, when the user registers, the data gets entered into
> both the WP DB and the MW DB and when the user logins 2 cookies are set.
> WordPress and MediaWiki would still work fine, and you'd still be able to
> upgrade them easily.
Wow, I just re-read my last reply email, boy was I half asleep when I
wrote it LOL! This would be nice to try. However, when I wrote up my
article about integrating the three (bbpress, mediawiki, and wordpress).
MW went and did alot of changes to their files and so forth, basically
making that "hack" useless at the time.

What I did first was, applied the bbpress and wordpress integration/
login hack:
http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/249?replies=4

Then applied this one:
http://codex.wordpress.org/User:RobLa/bbPress_Auth_for_MediaWiki

With some modifications from here:
http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wiki-tech/2005-August/000028.html

Enabling people to login to my MediaWiki with the usernames and
passwords from either my WordPress blog, or the forums.. However, it
wouldn't let people register on my MW without it spitting an error.

So for MW I just edited alot of files creating a custom register link in
the sidebar, which pointed to my WordPress login page and one to the
register page. Then even on the registration page on my MW, I had a
message there for users to sign up through my WP first.

As far as I know, someone said that AuthPress.php plugin wasn't
available for download anymore? If that's the case, I found a copy of
the one I was using from before, it can be grabbed here:
http://spencerp.net/downloads/AuthPress.php.txt

There's alot of things that were changed though with MW. Hence the
reason WP.org didn't upgrade their Codex to the last MW. Because if they
did, it would be nothing but headaches. You COULD just grab an older
version of MW, and apply those login hacks though. I know it's nice to
have the latest versions of everything, or even the bleeding edge. But
until something is revamped for later copies of things, it's about the
only thing you can do right now. Unless someone out there is willing to
take this challenge on...

Like Matt said above there, that would be a nice thing to try once, but
I sure as heck wouldn't be able to help with the database query coding
and so forth. Someone with more database knowledge would have to attempt
this one... :P Anyone up for the challenge? HahaHA! :P

--
spencerp
http://spencerp.net