[wp-hackers] WPMU Plugin management

Donncha O Caoimh donncha at linux.ie
Wed Oct 24 17:30:38 GMT 2007

Hi Omry,

While it's true the plugins page itself doesn't have any filtering of
plugins, that page is possibly not the right page to display plugins to
users of WordPress MU. Users who aren't tech savvy, or even know what
software is running on your site aren't going to be interested in the
author information, or arcane configuration of plugins.

Your plugin should probably create a page that uses a list (stored in
sitemeta) of approved plugins, perhaps with a list of plugins stored in
a blog's options table to override the global list. Your plugin should
handle activation and deactivation of plugins. Take a look at
wp-admin/plugins.php for how this is done, it's pretty simple.

To mass-enable plugins, just put the plugin in mu-plugins, or your
plugin will need some function on init that checks for plugins that need
to be activated..

Everything can be done through a plugin, don't use plugins.php at all!

HTH,
Donncha