[wp-hackers] Plugin zip problem on wordpress.org

Travis Snoozy ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 9 19:42:53 GMT 2007

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:58:04 -0700, "Lloyd Budd"
<lloydomattic at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
> This is the intended behavior.  All download zips get wrapped in a
> directory (in your case wp-mail-smtp) for consistency.  There is no
> need to put your files in subdirectory.  See
> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/faq/

It's a great big PITA if you have files you don't want to distribute,
though. It would make a lot more sense for only files in the
appropriately-named subdirectory to get packaged. Case in point, I have
a whole series of tests that belong in the repository, and are tied to
the release version, but shouldn't be distributed in the tarball. I've
had to resort to tagging two "releases", one real one, and one
exclusively for the benefit of the packager.

Similarly, the screenshots don't need to be in the release zip
(especially since the images can't have reasonable names), but the
current packaging scheme *forces* the image files to be included if you
want the screenshots to show up on the site.

I really think that the current packaging logic is at best a misfeature,
if not a bug. :/

--
Travis

In Series maintainer