[wp-hackers] Incredibly High PHP Creation Times on WP SVN?

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Fri Oct 5 06:58:27 GMT 2007

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 16:47:03 +1000, Omry Yadan <omry at yadan.net> wrote:
> Getting a file lock can potentially take a very long time, if other
> processes are holding the lock for a long time.
> this may be a symptom caused by another problem.

It can potentially take a long time if someone else has it locked.. But I didnt think you could open a file(for writing) if its locked?

The Object cache locking function:
	function acquire_lock() {
		// Acquire a write lock.
		$this->mutex = @fopen($this->cache_dir.$this->flock_filename, 'w');
		if ( false == $this->mutex)
			return false;
		flock($this->mutex, LOCK_EX);
		return true;
	}

The object cache can slow your site down significantly if your using a non-local(eg Network or SAN) filesystem, Or if you've got high IO load on the server, Thats why it isnt enabled by default. However it can be a great speed boost if your MySQL server has speed issues.