[wp-hackers] 2.4 Feature Proposal: New general meta-data table

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 22:15:39 GMT 2007

On 10/4/07, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> Also note that this one table could replace both the postmeta and the
> options tables. If you consider the "blog" as a possible object with
> an object_id (instead of a blog_id), that is. Might need an autoload
> column to be fully compatible, I suppose.

At first glance, this does not look like a good move. It would seem to
confuse things.

However, if you consider the blog as an object with the implicit ID of
1, it makes perfect sense. Taking it further, into the context of
WPMU, there is a blogs table where each blog has an ID and a sites
table where each site has an ID.

Here are the items that would be rolled into a unified meta table:

sitemeta
blogmeta (aka options)
usermeta
postmeta
commentmeta

Have I missed any?

I'd love to have mediameta and get attachments out of the posts table,
but that's neither here nor there...

Andy