[wp-hackers] Page searching examples [was: 2.4 planning discussion]

Daniel Cameron dan at scatter3d.com
Wed Oct 3 21:21:57 GMT 2007

On 10/3/07, Daniel Cameron <dan at scatter3d.com> wrote:
> I can't imagine the links I have dynamically created in my sidebar
> increasing the relevancy of a Google search centered around content
> that's published on a page or post, especially since their completely
> off topic. This also ties into my comment about Google searches not
> respecting the site authors content since it intermixes comments (and
> as you mentioned sidebar content).
> I don't think Google is a very good benchmark for
> constituting "good" search as it doesn't respect authors content and
> can be diluted by unrelated content.

So I'm understood when I talk about "Google not respecting authors content".

http://ottodestruct.com/blog/search-results/?cx=004401713637877867885%3Ah9tjeskdp1a&cof=FORID%3A11&q=hackery&sa=Search#885

I can't image this search result being relevant to a visitor searching
for "Hackery" since s/he's most likely not looking for the "Hackery"
link on every single page.

This might be a bad example but it should get my point across that
real relavancy comes from what the author provides in content, tags,
excerpts and meta information; all but one can't be indexed by Google
(unless exposed of course).

--
Dan Cameron