[wp-hackers] Page searching examples [was: 2.4 planning discussion]

Daniel Cameron dan at scatter3d.com
Wed Oct 3 17:38:06 GMT 2007

On 10/3/07, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> I'll say it very clearly: I think that the search function should not
> search Pages *indiscriminately*. Why? Because Pages, in the context of
> most uses of WordPress I've seen, are rarely data. They most often
> consist of special setups, special Page Templates, forms, PHP, other
> stuff that is *not normal paragraph-like text*. That's why I don't
> want search looking at those, because it's not something that has
> anything that should be returned to the user in a search.
>
> The default behavior, given the usage patterns that I've seen for
> Pages, should be to *not* search Pages. Now, I agree with allowing
> them to be searched, but that should be on a per-Page basis, and
> disabled by default.

You should then use a plugin to exclude your pages after [I hope] the
inclusion of pages because EVERY user by default has an about page
created for them and to exclude this "data" from a search is out of
the ordinary to say the least.

I would also suggest that the majority of people on this list create
pages for their plugins, that's all textual data that should be in
results.

--
Dan Cameron