[wp-hackers] Page searching examples [was: 2.4 planning discussion]

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Wed Oct 3 16:25:41 GMT 2007

This discussion illustrates Allen Cooper's concept of "The Inmates
are Running the Asylum"(1).  That is, we're designing interface from
a standpoint of what's programmatically most logical (or easier)
instead of what makes the most sense from the standpoint of Joe Average.

if Joe Average goes to a website and sees a "Search" box, he most
likely expects it to search that site -- the *entire* site.  It
should pull blog posts, pages, authors, tags... pretty much any
information that actually appears on the site.  It is not intuitive
to go to "blah.com", punch in a search, and only get results from a
subsection of the site.

This is clearly a "growing pain" of WordPress's (most excellent)
growth from a purely blog-oriented platform to a more full-featured
CMS.  The search function has some catching up to do.  As a
programmer it's probably beyond my skill (I'm sorry to say), or I
would already be halfway to a patch by now.  As an interface
designer, this seems almost self-evident.

At any rate, I think users expect "search" to search the site, not
just a section of it -- ESPECIALLY when that Search Box appears on
every page!  Does it make sense for the search box to appear on a
page that would not be found by that very search box?  I myself did
not realize until relatively recently that Search did NOT find
anything on Pages.

I don't mean any disrespect, but it surprises me the number of people
actually arguing that search should _not_ search pages.  Is this just
a case of nobody wanting to "bell on the cat"?  I'm not the strongest
programmer (largely from lack of practice), but I'm happy to help out
in any way that I can.

Respectfully,
Stephen

1) http://www.amazon.com/Inmates-Are-Running-Asylum-Products/dp/