[wp-hackers] Page searching examples

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Wed Oct 3 16:24:34 GMT 2007

Hacker Scot wrote:
> [...] people default to search, and expect Goog-like results.

I concur: the natural assumption for a search box on a web site is that
it will search _the entire site_, not just post text. That's why I
installed the Search Everything plugin on my site a while back.
Personally, I think it makes more sense to search everything by default,
and provide hooks for plugins to filter and  limit searching when desired.

In most cases, who cares if the search term was found in a post or on a
page? So there's not any built-in "relevance" -- what's wrong with
leaving it up to the user doing the search to decide how relevant the
result was for them?

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org <mailto:dougal at gunters.org>>
http://dougal.gunters.org/ <http://dougal.gunters.org>