[wp-hackers] Page searching examples [was: 2.4 planning discussion]

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:41:48 GMT 2007

On 10/3/07, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:
> The fundamental point that Sam is making is sound, however -- content
> accessible from a 3rd party search engine ought to be accessible in a
> similar, if not easier, fashion from inside WordPress itself.   If one
> must go to Google or Ask (What Happened To Jeeves!) in order to get
> better search results than WP can provide, I think something is
> probably wrong.

WordPress, open source software that typically runs on shared hosting,
should be able to produce search results on par with the secret
algorithms of the world leader in search, a company with market
capitalization of 182 billion dollars?

It has been agreed that if WordPress had a relevence-based search
engine built in, we wouldn't have any trouble integrating pages into
the search results. That would be a nice thing to have but it's really
not a realistic goal at this point.

There are fine ways to integrate Google searches into a blog's
template. I think that's more our speed. Competing with Google Search
just isn't.

Andy