[wp-hackers] Page searching examples

Hacker Scot shacker at birdhouse.org
Wed Oct 3 15:26:46 GMT 2007

> Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 07:12:57 -0400
> From: "Doug Stewart" <zamoose at gmail.com>
>
> The fundamental point that Sam is making is sound, however -- content
> accessible from a 3rd party search engine ought to be accessible in a
> similar, if not easier, fashion from inside WordPress itself.   If one
> must go to Google or Ask (What Happened To Jeeves!) in order to get
> better search results than WP can provide, I think something is
> probably wrong.

  On one of the massively multi-author WP installations I run, a user
told me just yesterday that search wasn't working. When I checked, it
seemed to be working fine. Turned out what she meant was that she was
searching on an author's name and (quiet naturally) assuming that
search would search everything. Yes, we have author pages with lists
of stories by those authors, but people default to search, and expect
Goog-like results.

Whether it makes sense to include authors in search results is a
different question, since most installations don't have more than a
few authors. Just saying that users expect it.

- s