[wp-hackers] Page searching examples [was: 2.4 planning discussion]

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 11:12:57 GMT 2007

On 10/3/07, Jeremy Visser <jeremy.visser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sam Bauers wrote:
> > This is all standard practice for search engines, why not WP's own
> > search as well?
>
> Because WordPress isn't a spider.
>
> It doesn't crawl your site, generating a search index as it goes —
> blocking pages from WP search via robots.txt just doesn't make sense.

Not a spider, granted, nor is it a dump truck. *grin*

The fundamental point that Sam is making is sound, however -- content
accessible from a 3rd party search engine ought to be accessible in a
similar, if not easier, fashion from inside WordPress itself.   If one
must go to Google or Ask (What Happened To Jeeves!) in order to get
better search results than WP can provide, I think something is
probably wrong.

(As a side note, the work on canonical links in all likelihood really
improved matters in terms of using such 3rd party search engines...)

--
-Doug

http://literalbarrage.org/blog/