[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin update bugs

Viper007Bond viper at viper007bond.com
Tue Oct 2 10:30:35 GMT 2007

No one's stopping you from providing update notifications for your plugin,
as you've already done (and as have I for one of my plugins from back in the
day). Infact, there's even a hook (after_plugin_row) you can use to display
an identical message to the existing update notification.

However, I don't think something like this (checking for updates for
non-WP.org plugins) should be in the core.  Promoting the usage of one, big
database is best for the users in my opinion (we already did it previously
via the Codex). It doesn't rely on some random guy's site being online. It
doesn't require them to setup and host a script that has to be updated when
a new version is out. It doesn't... well, you get the point.

Plus, no one is stopping anyone from coding an API plugin that adds this
support in. It'd be _very_ easy to do.

But as I said, I think this is plugin territory and not core.

Viper007Bond | http://www.viper007bond.com/